advisory support. In order to better understand about the consulting phase, please take a look at the visual diagram below illustrating the support system available to each entrepreneur who will receive the consulting support. In the subsequent part, roles and brief background of each participant will be explained.
- Goals Orientation, Activity wise Time-Chart
- Brainstorming idea with entrepreneur to ensure higher accuracy in decision making
- Understand and streamline avenues where TechnoServe can add value, and where the TechnoServe mentor network can help
- Provide process implementation guidelines for new ideas
- Structure the entrepreneur’s financial projections, help prepare a robust business plan if needed
- Conduct market sizing or guide market research if required
- Workflow management, ensure progress with action plan
- Industry benchmarking wherever applicable
- Tier 1, senior industry executives as Mentors – The nature of the proposed mentoring support will involve providing advice on key business decisions, access to relevant networks, fund-raising insights, strategic oversight and nurturing. The mentors will meet-up with the TNS consultant and entrepreneurs once a month. Mentors: MukulGulati (MD, Zephyr Peacock), Gautam Bakshi (Financial Advisor and Director, Avigo Capital)
- Tier II, Mr. Luis Miranda as Program Leader- Luis will meet up with the consultantson monthly basis to discuss the mentoring process and how it can be improved. Luis is a former chief executive of IDFC Private Equity.
III. Technical Support: The lawyers and accountants will helps answer queries that the businesses might have regarding setting-up of their business, licenses, subsidies, import/export, tax etc.
V. Informal Support: In addition to the support provided by the Entrepreneurship coordinators (Tenzin Wangyal and Tenzin Gonpo), we have reached out to different Tibetan professional networks, TCC, settlements officers, Tibetan business owners, external agencies supporting entrepreneurship etc. to leverage their expertise whenever appropriate.
ABHISHEK KU. GUPTA
He serves as a Director of Chalet Hotels Ltd., GMR Vemagiri Power Generation Limited and GMR Power Corporation Private Limited. Mr. Miranda serves as a Director and Member of Advisory Board of the Emerging Markets Private Equity Association (EMPEA) and is on the Board of Governors of the Centre for Fuel Studies and Research. He served as a Founding Member of HDFC Bank Ltd. He served as a Director of Chrys Capital and Chrys Capital II, III, IV and V, L.P. He served as a Director of Gujarat State Petronet Limited from December 2, 2005 to July 25, 2008. He served as a Director of GMR Infrastructure Ltd. since April 14, 2006 and Sical Logistics Ltd. since April 24, 2007. He served as a Director of Parrys Sugar Industries Ltd. from April 2006 to August 2006 and Gujarat Pipavav Port Limited from October 11, 2005 to October 29, 2010. He served as a Director of GMR Energy Limited and L&T Infrastructure Development Projects Limited. 16
Business Accelerator is for people whose business is at least 3 years old and therefore, is a more advanced training to help an already set-up business to grow. Thirty (30) participants will be invited to attend this course from all the applications received. The selection will be done by business advisors of TechnoServe (TNS) India. The training for selected candidates is for 7 days. After which, till 31 July 2013 , business advisors from TNS India will assist all candidates to grow their business according to what they planned during the training.
The Business Plan Competition is for new business ideas and start-up businesses (less than 3 years). It is to enable them to establish basic systems and processes so they are well grounded to grow. Up to thirty participants will be invited from all the applications received to attend this course and make their business plans. This selection will be done by business advisors of TNS India. And just like the Business Accelerator, the training will be for 7 days. A grant of Rs 1 lakh each will be awarded as seed fund to the 5 top performers at the end of the course. The choice of the 5 winners will be made by a jury. In addition, the top 10 performers in the Business Plan Competition (including the 5 winners) will receive business advice and assistance from TNS business advisors till 31 July 2013 at their settlements. This assistance will help them set up and grow their business according to the business plan prepared during the training.
- I have no qualifications. I dropped out of education to look after my family, so can I apply?
Yes, apply for whichever course suits you. We are looking for proven business skills in people who apply for the Business Accelerator, and for business potential in people who apply for the Business Plan Competition. Our selection of candidates will based on your business experience, the strength of your ideas and the potential of your business plan. You must, however, be able to converse, read and write in English to benefit best from the training. We believe that a college degree is useful, but not necessary to become a successful business leader.
- How long can my answers be to the questions asked in the application form?
While there is no word limit, we will expect your answers to give every business detail possible in a crisp format.
- Can Tibetans only apply for the courses? Or others as well?
Tibetans in any settlement or any city in India and Nepal can apply to the program. You must possess a valid RC, or an Indian Passport or a Green Book (for residents of Nepal).
- I am turning 18 in 2 months. Can I still apply?
Only adults are eligible to apply for this course. But we shall still evaluate your application and can even select you if we think that your application is exceptional. However, you must be 18 years of age as on September 10, 2012.
- What papers do I need to submit to apply for any of the courses?
You need to submit the filled in application form by August 20, 2012. No other papers are required at this stage. In case you are selected then you will need to send in a copy of your RC/Indian Passport/Green book for validation. Also, please ensure the application form is filled with the mandatory details to help the jury review your application with all your inputs. Incomplete forms will be immediately disqualified.
- Can I get help in filling the application form?
Yes, you may call Tenzin Wangyal 09736233831 or Tenzin Gonpo 09882137515 between 10am to 7pm Mondays to Saturdays. Or ask your settlement officer for assistance
- How exactly will I benefit from the training?
Both the Business Accelerator and the Business Plan Competition have been designed to build your professional skills and business development capabilities.
What you get from the Business Accelerator?
• Training from professors & business leaders (7 days) You will be taught about leadership, how to expand your business, how to raise debt and equity, how to market, how to expand your existing consumer base and so on. The course will have real case studies from the business world to help you get practical knowledge about business issues. It will also include a one-day exposure visit to a mid-sized industry. At the end of the 7-day course you will be guided to make your own strategy for business growth.
• Business mentoring at your office TechnoServe India will assist all 30 candidates to achieve their business growth goals by helping them apply business management skills, and providing timely advice and mentoring at their settlements till 31 July 2013.
What you get from the Business Plan Competition?
• On-campus training (7 days) Professors and successful business heads will show you how to set up and grow their business. You will be taught business and management essentials i.e. how to set-up operations, how to raise investment, how to market and create a consumer base, and so on. The course will have case studies of start-up problems that real businesses have faced to help you learn from their experiences. And at the end of the 7-day course you will be guided to prepare your own business plan for the year.
• Opportunity to get Rs 1 Lakh grant as seed fund At the end of the training 5 chosen candidates will each receive Rs 1 lakh grant as seed fund.
• Assistance to grow your business Business Advisors from TechnoServe India will guide the top 10 performers (including the 5 winners) of this course to set-up as well as grow their business according to their individual business plans. This assistance will be given at the settlements till 31 July 2013.
- Will my business be provided funding if I participate in any of the courses? If yes, how much.
We are sponsoring the course fee along with stay and food for every participant selected either for the Business Accelerator or the Business Plan Competition. We are also reimbursing travel fare to Mumbai and back ( Rs 1000 per candidate will be reimbursed by TNS). So the entire training is free of cost for you. Grants of Rs 1 lakh each will be awarded only in the Business Plan Competition category; where after the 7-day training, five (5) business plans with the most potential will be selected by a jury and each of them will be announced at the closing ceremony.
- What financial benefit do I get if I participate in Business Accelerator?
Your company will be mentored by us till 31 July 2013 and your business capabilities will be further sharpened. If there is a need for funding, our business advisors will help you identify the nature of capital needed to grow and also help you raise it.
- I speak only Hindi. Can I still apply?
Yes. Although understanding English will be important since training will be conducted mainly in the English language.
- I can neither speak English nor speak Hindi. Can I still apply?
No, elementary understanding of English is essential to apply and understand the course.
- I have a business idea, but haven't started out yet. Which course should I apply for?
Please apply only in Business Plan Competition category.
- If I don't win what will I get?
The moment you are selected for either of the courses, you have won yourself a fully sponsored training. So technically, all selected candidates are winners. In addition, both the courses will not only develop your skills and insights for business but our business advisors will continue assisting and mentoring you till 31 July 2013 so you are able to grow according to the business plan you have developed. If you are not among the top 5 performers in the Business Plan Competition, you will not be entitled to the Rs 1 lakh grant. But in case you are among the top 10 performers you will be mentored by business advisors from TNS till 31 July 2013. For the other candidates, you will be able to use your learnings from this structured business program (conducted by India’s leading business school) to grow your business.
- What is the batch size?
Business Accelerator will have 30 candidates. Business Plan Competition with have up to 30 candidates.
- What are the ways I can apply?
You can apply in any of the following ways:
Login to the www.empoweringtibetanbusinesses.com and fill an online form and submit it.
Download the application from this website. Fill in details and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pick up a form from your settlement officer, fill it in and submit it to him by the last date August 20, 2012.
We prefer that you apply online
- Is there more than one training?
Yes. There are two specific trainings. The Business Accelerator: for people whose business is at least 3 years old. And the Business Plan Competition is meant for those who have just started a business or have a strong business idea. Both will run simultaneously for different set of participants, at the same campus from September 10 to 16, 2012.
- Can both men and women apply for the training?
Yes, absolutely! We are looking at a healthy mix of men and women in business, across all locations.
- If I apply do I get automatically selected? Who does the selection and what are the selection criteria?
All applications DO NOT get automatically selected for the courses. Business Advisors at TechnoServe India will select* candidates for both courses based on their applications and a telephonic interview.
* Only complete applications will be processed. Your application will be evaluated on the basis of its business promise, maturity, and ambition to grow.
- How will I know if I am selected?
Names of selected candidates will be put up on the www.empoweringtibetanbusinesses.com and also circulated to the settlement officer at each settlement. In addition, TNS will send you an email and also call to inform you. The lists will be announced on August 25, 2012.
- Will you provide feedback on applications that are not selected?
We shall not provide feedback on all applications.
- What happens after my name is announced?
Please send a confirmation of your acceptance within 2 days of selection to email@example.com. After that you need to book your travel to and from Mumbai and email us a scanned copy of your tickets within 7 days of the results being announced, failing which your spot shall be offered to someone else in the waiting list.Travel expense reimbursement up to Rs 1000/- per candidate will be given by TechnoServe India.
- Businesses from which regions will get selected?
This program is not region specific. We seek to support Tibetan businesses in all corners of India and Nepal, and our selection will span different states and regions.
- What if I am not able to attend the training?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as you know that you will not be able to attend. We will then invite another candidate from the waiting list to take your place.
Once your name appears on the list and you are informed about your selection by TechnoServe India you need to arrange for your ticket to Mumbai. Please note that you have to pay for your own travel. The course begins at 9.30am on 10 September 2012. So it is best if you reach Mumbai on the evening or night of 10 September or by 8am of 10 September.
The course will end on September 16, 2012 at 7pm. You may book your return ticket for the 16th night or 17th daytime. You will be provided accommodation for the night of 16 September. Travel expense reimbursement up to Rs 1000/- per candidate will be given by TechnoServe India.
- How long is the training for?
1 week for both the Business Accelerator as well as the Business Plan Competition.
- We are three co-founders. Who should attend the training?
You will need to nominate one person for the entire duration of the training.
- Can we split the training module attendance between us co-founders?
No. It is essential that one person attends the program from start to finish.
Awards & Payment
- How will the top five winners of the Business Plan Competition receive the award/payment?
The names of the 5 award winners of the Business Plan Competition will be announced at the end of the program on 16 September 2012.
All grants will be disbursed to each one’s business bank account (current account). If the business does not have a current account then the amount will be disbursed once the account is made. Details of the account including A/c no. and a scanned copy of the account opening letter / passbook should be sent to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rs. 1 lakh will be deposited to each winner’s business account (this is the net amount after tax deduction).
The amount will be disbursed into each winner’s account by 5 October 2012 or 20 days after commencement of the current account, whichever date is earlier.
- How will TechnoServe assist my business after the training?
A business advisor from TechnoServe India shall advise you at regular intervals at your office in implementing the concepts that you were taught in the training. All 30 candidates in the Business Accelerator program and the top 10 performers in the Business Plan Competition will get business mentoring this assistance.
- How long will TechnoServe assist my business?
From October 2012 till 31 July 2013.
Manika Bhargava: email@example.com
Sambuddha Bhattacharya: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tenzin Wangyal: 09736233831
Tenzin Gonpo: 09882137515
His Holiness – The Dalai Lama
in the Book of Love and Compassion